Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mac & Cheese - Dairy Free


Okay, I really hope the picture looks as good as the original tasted! It came out creamy and rich with no gritty feel like I sometimes get with cheese imitations. I really think the sun dried tomatoes added depth and the spinach kept it from being boring. Next time I make this I will actually try to measure my ingredients - I am sooo bad at that sometimes... Even if you don't make the Mac & Cheese, this basic cheese recipe is really good. It is good as a dip/spread, or in cooking. Can't wait to try it again.

General Directions for the Mac & Cheese

First I started the noodles. Then began with a soy-based cream sauce (roux plus unflavored soy milk) which was seasoned with some pepper and garlic powder. Added about 3/4 of this DF basic cheese recipe (www.dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/basiccheeserecipes) and whisked well. The cheese was still a little thick, so added the water from some re-hydrating sun-dried tomatoes to thin the sauce a little...then decided that the sun dried tomatoes smelled so good, we should chop those up and add them and some spinach. Red, White, and Green all mixed together and smelling like an autumn meal should.
This got a thumbs up from everyone (even my soy-phobic 6yr old). Hope you like it, too.

1 comment:

MasterpieceMom said...

I made a mac n cheese dish today BEFORE reading your post. How weird is that??? Anyway, mine prolly wasn't as good taste wise, but it was healthy. I used cooked, pureed butternut squash as part of the sauce. It received a thumbs up from hub and Pooh and Tigger said he liked it a little bit. :D