Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sick babies

So, I get a call at work at 2am (I work nights at a local hospital), the baby is sick with a 104 fever and both baby and dad (who has to go to work in the morning) are miserable. By the next day all four kids have a head/chest cold. Know how Dad got baby back to sleep? He wrapped her in my pajamas (for momma scent) and snuggled with her on his chest. She fell asleep nuzzling into the cloth of my pj's and muttering, "momma momma momma ...". How sweet is that?
As awful as it is to have a sick child, something amazing happens when you are snuggling their fevered bodies close to you, kissing hot little heads. Big innocent eyes look up into yours like you are the only thing in the world that matters and a pudgy fist wraps around your finger. As they relax into your arms, you can feel sleep creep in to heal. It makes me appreciate my purpose as a parent, to love, cherish, guide, teach, and mold this precious gift that I have been entrusted with. But also to realize how fragile human life can be and that we need to care for it and not abuse our bodies so that we can be available for all we a purposed to accomplish. All that insight from a nasty little virus.
OK, all done being sappy (for a while at least).
Of course, sick kids put all my grand plans for trying lapbooking on temporary hold - on the bright side it gives me more time to make sure I have all the information prepared. To be honest I could probably use the weekend to compile and try out everything we will need.
DS is all upset because I wouldn't let him go to Drama practice today.... "I don't feel THAT bad (cough)(cough). Can't you just drop me off? (wheeze)" Umm .... No. I'm sure all the parents would really LOVE me to share our germs. "Aww, mom, your so mean." Yup, that's me... Meany Mommy. Anyway, another day chillin' will do them all a world of good and hopefully we can have a productive weekend. We'll do fun stuff like catch up on cleaning, and grocery shopping ((just kidding)). Actually, the three older ones have to finish their projects to be entered in the Fair next month, so they will probably work on that.... much more fun than cleaning & errands. :)

No comments: