Monday, September 21, 2009

Utopia

On a recent trip to Goodwill I picked up a 1947 printing of the classic Utopia of Thomas Moore. First published in 1516, I had never read Utopia It piqued my interest mostly because it is reference in the movie Ever After. (One of the few movies that I enjoy watching repeatedly.) Back in my younger (childless) years I loved reading classics by Homer, Shakespeare, Austin, etc. Part of the draw was being immersed in Old English grammar, and classic sensibilities. So, when I saw the book, I snapped it up.



I know I am in trouble when even the introduction to a book strains by mental faculties. Wading through the antiquated writing has my head just a little foggy. For example, the first two sentences, each lasting a full paragraph in themselves are 90 and 92 words long respectively. the fourth sentence is slightly better at 75 words. I am plunging forward, however. Thankfully, this edition has sub-text references to help me along. As I move forward, I seem to be remembering the lilt and rhythm of such wordy pleasantries, and finding the meaning and intentions from indirect references. This book will a bit of work to read compared to my more recent books, but I feel it might kick-start my mind a little.

I am bringing it on vacation with me. I am not sure I will get to read much of it, but it will be a start.

No comments: